Protect Your Child from Poisons in Your Home


What is a poison?

A poison is anything someone eats (ingestion), breathes (inhalation), gets in the eyes (ocular exposure), or on the skin (dermal exposure), that can cause sickness or death if it gets into or on the body.  Poisons can be found in four forms:   solid, liquid, spray or gas.


What are some dangerous poisons?

Medicines and
Personal Care
Plants Environmental
heart, blood pressure drugs drain cleaners mouthwash wild mushrooms carbon monoxide
tranquilizers oven cleaners nail glue remover dieffenbachia lead paint
nerve pills toilet bowl cleaners permanent wave solutions philodendron  
cough and cold medicines furniture polish nail primer pokeweed  
iron pesticides hair removal products foxglove  
pain relievers gasoline, kerosene   holly berries  
diabetes medicines lamp oil   castor bean  
  antifreeze, windshield solution      


How can I keep children safe from poisons?

Poisons often come in pretty colors and attractive containers.   Children may mistake poisons for something good to eat or drink.  Follow these safety tips to help keep children poison safe:

BD21298_.gif (101 bytes) Store Poisonous Products Safely

BD21298_.gif (101 bytes) Use Poisonous Products Safely


Learn the symptoms of poisoning

If you see an open or spilled bottle of pills or other dangerous product, a child may be poisoned.

An important sign of poisoning is when children who were well develop unusual symptoms:


What should I do if I think a child has been poisoned?

Call your local Poison Center right away.  Do not wait for the child to look or feel sick!  Follow these first-aid steps:

BD21298_.gif (101 bytes) Swallowed Poisons:

BD21298_.gif (101 bytes) Inhaled Poisons:

BD21298_.gif (101 bytes) Poisons on the skin:

BD21298_.gif (101 bytes) Poisons in the eye:


Mr. Yuk Means NO!



Mr. Yuk is the poison warning symbol used by many poison control centers.

Mr. Yuk stickers say NO! to little children who can't read warning labels on dangerous products.

Teach your children that Mr. Yuk means NO!  Take your children with you as you place Mr. Yuk stickers on the many dangerous products in your home.

To get Mr. Yuk stickers, call the poison control center.   The number is on the first page of the phone book.

The stickers are free.

(Mr. Yuk is used with permission of Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.)

Do you have more questions about keeping your child safe from poisons?  Ask your doctor.


| Back |

Material taken from the Food and Drug Administration and the American Association of Poison Control Centers.